Posted on

How do you do? (The fingers-crossed handshake.)

obamaIf everything works out, and both sides come to the middle, we should reach an agreement. I’m hopeful. And shaky. And hopeful. And a little queasy. But mostly hopeful. Only a few more days until I should be able to meet my students for this year. I’m ready, I think, as ready as I can be–kind of like hanging off of a cliff by my toes, and hoping I’ll sprout wings if I fall.

Does that surprise you, that teachers are a little nervous, too, when they’re meeting you for the first time? Why wouldn’t we be? Oh…right…we’re not humans! We don’t have feelings! We’re just Teacher-Bots, programmed to spew forth information and take a lot of coffee breaks!

I can assure you I am not a robot.  I kind of wish I was right now, because things may get a little rough for teachers these next few weeks. It’s a tough time to be a human in general these days. High unemployment. Cranky politicians. Global warming. Yikes! That would make anyone want to hit the Shut Down bar and unplug their USB cable! Power down, people…power down!

Maybe I’ll pretend I’m President Obama for a day, and stay cool, kind, and collected at all times. And warmly shake your hand in greeting, and be glad you’re in my class. I won’t even have to pretend that part.