Sweet and sour.

Charles Dickens
Charles Dickens

Today was one of those days:

“It was the best of times. It was the worst of times; it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness; it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity; it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness; it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair; we had everything before us, we had nothing before us; we were all going directly to Heaven, we were all going the other way.” –Charles Dickens

I witnessed the basest of human interactions, including the “scratching one’s head with the middle finger” from one student to another (AS IF I DON’T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!?) to sublime, heart-wrenching poetry readings from many students who had fifteen minutes to find something (race for art!) and present the poem to the class. Talk about stepping up: I had Langston Hughes, Emily Dickinson, Tupac Shakur, and many others. Even the “finger  scratcher” read one about grief and loss that was heartfelt and sincere. Colleagues were observed, Anime Club was raucous, and I was home in time to finish my last blog post for April.

We are facing our state’s mandatory test, we are facing the fire, we are facing the truth. I hope we all didn’t go the other way. But I think we are right where we need to be.