Posted on

Sweet and sour.

Charles Dickens
Charles Dickens

Today was one of those days:

“It was the best of times. It was the worst of times; it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness; it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity; it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness; it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair; we had everything before us, we had nothing before us; we were all going directly to Heaven, we were all going the other way.” –Charles Dickens

I witnessed the basest of human interactions, including the “scratching one’s head with the middle finger” from one student to another (AS IF I DON’T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!?) to sublime, heart-wrenching poetry readings from many students who had fifteen minutes to find something (race for art!) and present the poem to the class. Talk about stepping up: I had Langston Hughes, Emily Dickinson, Tupac Shakur, and many others. Even the “finger ¬†scratcher” read one about grief and loss that was heartfelt and sincere. Colleagues were observed, Anime Club was raucous, and I was home in time to finish my last blog post for April.

We are facing our state’s mandatory test, we are facing the fire, we are facing the truth. I hope we all didn’t go the other way. But I think we are right where we need to be.